borrowing from the boys

MENSWEAR FOR WOMEN





I've always had an affinity for androgyny. As a kid, I was obsessed with finding the perfect balance between girly-girl and tomboy, not entirely satisfied with either extreme. So, it didn't take long for me to start exploring the menswear department of the stores I shopped in. I still remember the first time I bought a boy's sweater from Zara, and I've never turned back.

A lot of women are afraid to shop in the men's department and I've never understood why. It's an untapped gold mine of sartorial possibilities. As gender conventions bend and people stop freaking out about establishing a definite line between femininity and masculinity, so many worlds open up. 

I believe that a juxtaposition of broad lines and oversized silhouettes with accentuated curves and sensuality equal the ultimate femininity. Shiona Turini is my go-to-inspo for so-called feminine style but two bloggers that inspire my love of menswear and more relaxed styling are Jayne Min of STOPITRIGHTNOW and Vanessa Hong of The Haute Pursuit. 

A photo posted by STOP IT RIGHT NOW (@stopitrightnow) on

A photo posted by thehautepursuit (@thehautepursuit) on

Here's how I borrow from the boys.



To make this look less Bay Street and more subversive pair a double-breasted suit jacket with distressed jeans and your go-to crop top. The shoulders give instant confidence, I swear.

~~~



An oversized bomber jacket is a must. The perfect substitute when your tired of your cropped leather moto. 

~~~




I'm pretty sure my low-key obsession with skate culture started with watching Disney's The Weekenders as a kid and recently it's transcended into an appreciation for street fashion brands like Hood By Air. This men's sweater is a little risqué worn as a dress but that's what makes it fun.

~~~



Women's turtlenecks tend to be too form-fitting for my taste but men's turtlenecks are just so good. They have the right amount of slouch and rolling up the sleeves gives a very classic look.

~~~



Ahh, the elusive perfect white tee. It does exist, you're just looking in the wrong part of the store.

The next time your bored of your findings in the women's department, journey over to the men's. You won't regret it.



xx kels






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author